Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Broken

Have you ever been hurt by someone?  It may have been a parent, love interest, friend, family member, in-law, mate, co-worker, boss, coach, teacher, pastor, church leader, counselor, and the list could go on and on. Yes, we have all been hurt at one time in our lives. Most of us have been hurt often. When I think of having a broken heart, this caries hurt to a new level. When you love deeply, it can make you vulnerable to experiencing a broken heart.  "You say that love is nonsense. I tell you it is no such thing. For weeks and months it is a steady physical pain, an ache about the heart, never leaving one, by night or by day; a long strain on one's nerves like toothache or rheumatism, not intolerable at any one instant, but exhausting by its steady drain on the strength." -Henry Brooks Adams



                       Our hearts are a vital part of our being and the most crucial part to protect. Help for the broken comes by showing love, compassion, understanding, grace, empathy, and a listening ear. Often we are quick to speak and slow to hear. That is opposite of how we are to be. We are to be swift to hear and slow to speak.


I recently sat in a discussion covering the topic on homophobia. I  had the opportunity of meeting several individuals who have a love interest of the same sex. As I sat in that discussion group, I discovered the internal struggle, heartbreak, rejection, and suicidal thoughts that many who were in that group have had to deal with. It deeply touched me to hear as one individual mentioned having thoughts of suicide for ten years as she tried so hard to fight off her inward desires. Try to wrap your head around the idea of living with so much pain, that daily you would want to end your suffering, by ending your life.



“We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.” -Dietrich Bonhoeffer  

  There was a precious lady in that group who is very spiritual, and it so happened that we were in the same place at the same time after that group discussion. I was struggling with a few thoughts regarding Biblical truths. As I shared them with this wonderful woman, the revelation came: It is not my place or my duty to judge based on what I can see from the outside. God looks at the heart of a man. It is 100% impossible for me to see into another person's heart.  My obligation to others is to love them as I love myself. There was a young lady in that class, much, much, younger than me, and she made a profound statement:  "Are we throwing stones that we were taught not to throw?"
One of my favorite stories in the Bible was when the lady caught in the very act of adultery was thrown at the feet of Jesus. Jesus knew very well that according to the law this lady was to be stoned. Jesus began writing something in the dirt of which we are not privy to know. What on earth could Jesus have been writing? He said to those who had brought the woman "You who is without sin, cast the first stone." One by one, this woman's accusers left. The only one who never sinned was Jesus and did he throw the stones? Instead He let that woman know that He forgave her, and He told her to sin no more. We see several things from this story, # 1 Jesus did not condemn this woman, #2 Jesus did not permit those men to cast their judgement upon this adulterous woman, because they had sin in their own hearts, #3 Jesus forgave this woman of her trespasses and let her know that she did not need to go back to searching for love in all the wrong places ever again. Many times people like to find fault in others to elevate themselves. If you have never touched alcohol, it may be easy for you to condemn an alcoholic. If you have never had feelings for someone of the same sex, it may be easy for you to condemn a homosexual. If you have never been divorced, it may be easy for you to condemn an adulterer. I could go on and on, but I am sure you understand where I am going with this. I once heard someone say that they had a right to judge, just as long as they themselves were living a holy life. Going back to the question; What on earth was Jesus writing in the dirt? I believe He was writing down hidden sins of the heart. For you to have the ability to judge another person, your heart better be clean. It is very easy to judge based on the outward sins, but very little is mentioned about hidden sins, such as jealousy, unforgiveness, pride, hate, lust, and so on. When you reach the conclusion that you are only a sinner saved by grace, that your salvation came only by grace and having nothing at all to do with your own goodness, then you realize that you can not take any credit for it at all. It was a free gift!! Available to all who will believe!!


How do you mend a broken heart? The first place you start is go to God just as you are, allow Him to heal your heart and reach those deep places that only He can reach. Receive His grace by realizing it has nothing at all to do with you. It is His unmerited favor, you can not earn it and you don't deserve it, He freely gives it to you. You just need to receive the gift of God's one and only son, Jesus. Only then can you tap into His healing power, mercy, forgiveness, kindness, goodness, and unconditional love. 
So if the Son liberates you [makes you free men], then you are really and unquestionably free. -John 8:36


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Pam, and a wonderful time to post around Valentine's Day when we are thinking about those we love in a more special way. It will help me to keep in memory those around me who may be struggling with issues I know nothing about and to be sensitive to the pain that may be hidden from view. Tender hearted touch of love one to another is a great example of Christ's love. I enjoyed reading your blog and look forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Kim! I am really happy that enjoyed reading my blog. We can share the love that Christ has shown to us.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mrs. Waddell! I have been feeling the same way recently and am saddened by the perception people have of Christians. I really liked when you said, "God looks at the heart of a man. It is 100% impossible for me to see into another person's heart. My obligation to others is to love them as I love myself."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hallie, thank you so much for your comment. I am just now seeing it.

    ReplyDelete